Release Date: Tuesday, April 17th 2012
Immanuel Presbyterian Church Turns 175!
East Town congregation turns 175!
East Town’s Immanuel Presbyterian Church celebrates 175 years of ministry and mission this month. Located in the heart of East Town at 1100 N. Astor Street, the congregation regularly hosts a Welcome Table at the East Town Market each summer.
Immanuel has been a vital and vibrant part of this neighborhood since it was founded as the First Presbyterian Church of Milwaukee on April 11, 1837. On that date, eighteen men and women gathered in a new courthouse on the present site of Cathedral Square to establish the first congregation of any denomination in Milwaukee. Soon the new congregation adopted a founding covenant with words that continue to inspire a healthy and growing congregation today: “We endeavor in all things to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bonds of peace and love.” From 1837 to 1875, the congregation’s home was on the corner of Milwaukee and Mason streets (site of the current Colby Abbot building). In 1875, the congregation took the new name, Immanuel, and moved to its present location after merging with daughter congregation, North Presbyterian Church.
Immanuel will celebrate its 175th Anniversary with a special Anniversary Worship Service on Sunday, April 22 at 10:00. A special organ prelude is planned for 9:45; the service will include greetings from special guests and be followed by a light brunch buffet. Old and new friends, both near and far are invited to help the congregation celebrate this important milestone.
A congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA), Immanuel is an inclusive, urban, Christian community in which to belong, learn, grow, and serve. Immanuel’s 700 members come from throughout the metropolitan area. Committed to “keeping faith in the city,” Immanuel supports the Interchange Food Pantry and is active with Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity and Southeastern Wisconsin Common Ground. Educational partnerships include Carroll University and McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago. Global mission partnerships reach to Kenya, Zambia, and India. Worship is traditional in style and contemporary in content; opportunities to engage faith and learning are offered for all ages and stages of faith. New friends and visitors are always welcome.
For more information, contact:
The Rev. Robert W. Ater
Immanuel Presbyterian Church
(414) 276-0310 FAX
The East Town Association was officially incorporated in 1983, although it began in the early 1960’s.
The first Bastille Days took place July 17 & 18 in 1982 and we celebrate the 30th anniversary in 2011.
East Town Market celebrates 15 years in 2011 and over 80 vendors participate annually.
Jazz in the Park started in 1991, 21 years later we have over 8,000 weekly attendees.
The Storm the Bastille started in 1985. Today, over 5000 runners and walkers participate.
November through May, check out the East Town Market at Discovery World on the 2nd Saturdays from 10am to 2pm.
The first Bastille Days was located on Jefferson Street directly in front of George Watts & Son, today Bastille Days has four stages and occupies eight city blocks.
Beginning in 2009, we no longer allow guests to carry in their own alcoholic beverages to any of our events, including Jazz in the Park. Support these free events and buy a glass of wine!
Over 200 businesses and 100 individuals are members of the East Town Association, see why!
Did you know you can get your knives sharpened at the East Town Market?